10 Tips for Spring Maintenance
It’s been a long, cold winter for many of us – but SPRING IS HERE ~ this helpful checklist targets the areas of your home that may need some attention:
- Loose or leaky gutters – make sure downspouts drain away from the foundation of your home and that they are free and clear of debris.
- Fill in low areas in the year with compacted soil. Spring rains can cause yard flooding and the pooling water will create a breeding ground for summer insects.
- Check all the wood trim around your home for damage before the spring rains come.
- Replace any cracked, buckled or loose shingles on the roof. Also have a professional roofer check flashing around vents, skylights and chimneys.
- Clean the chimney flue and have it inspected by a certified chimney sweep.
- Inspect concrete slabs for signs of cracks or movement. Power wash and seal the concrete after filling in cracks.
- Do not store firewood near your home. It should be stacked 18 inches off the ground and more than 2 feet away from the structure.
- Check outside faucets for freeze damage and check garden hose for dry rot.
- Have a qualified HVAC technician service your air conditioning system. Clean coils operate more effectively and keep system working at peak performance. Change interior filters on a regular basis.
- Check your gas- and battery-powered lawn equipment to make sure it’s ready for summer. Clean lawnmower and sharpen cutting blades.
Before you know it, Summer will be here – ENJOY!