Don’ts When Hiring An HVAC Contractor
The most important part of shopping for a new heating and air conditioning system is to pick the right contractor. Choose the wrong one, and you may risk getting a system that will not do what it is supposed to do. Follow these don’ts when hiring an HVAC contractor!
- Don’t assume all contractors are the same. Sadly, some are downright dishonest! Fortunately, the technicians at LHT Cooling and Heating are honest, hard working and dedicated to their profession. They attend continuing education classes on a regular basis so they are up to date with all the modern technology their field has to offer.
- Don’t choose a fly-by-night contractor. You cannot risk having an amateur or dishonest technician installing or repairing your equipment. Ask them:
- How long they’ve been in business
- Where are they licensed and/or registered to perform services
- Do they carry workers compensation and general liability insurance
- Do they have a permanent NON-RESIDENCE place of business – ask for the street address
- Can they provide names of satisfied customers in your neighborhood
- Do the service technicians wear uniforms
- Do they offer 24 hour emergency service
- What is their guarantee and do they have a refund policy
- Don’t be misled by contractors who will only offer to replace your system. Weigh the pros and cons of repair vs. replacement. A quality contractor is more interested in serving you than selling you. He builds his business on long term service relationships and referrals from very happy customers. Ninety percent of our new customers come from customer referrals.
- Don’t focus only on initial costs. Even though it’s tempting to go with the lowest bidder, remember that this is a large investment and it is more important to have the job done well than cheap!
- Don’t try to buy a new system over the phone. In order for you to be 100% satisfied, honest and reputable companies need to meet with you and go through your home examining all equipment and ducts. When someone doesn’t want to give you a quote over the phone, don’t dismiss them. You should actually be wary of companies that will just spout off prices over the phone without seeing your home.
Continue to follow us in this Series of Don’ts When Hiring an HVAC Contractor! We will be back shortly with more advice.