HVAC Safety Tips
We would like to share some of the most important HVAC Safety Tips to keep your home and family safe from electrical fires, injuries, even death. The first thing to do if there is a problem, is to ALWAYS turn off the circuit breakers! Keep reading for further HVAC Safety Tips . . .
- Have a licensed HVAC technician perform maintenance at least twice a year: once in the Fall for your heating system, and once in the Spring for your cooling system. Our experienced technicians here at LHT Cooling, Heating & Refrigeration, Inc., will clean your system, make sure there are no refrigerant leaks, check all electrical components and inspect all wiring. We will also inspect and test your capacitors, inspect the fan and blower motor, and professional clean the entire system.
As a homeowner, there are many proactive things you can do to ensure the safety of your home and family:
- Do not keep anything flammable within 3 feet of your heating equipment
- Never use your oven to heat your home
- Have chimneys cleaned and inspected every year
- Turn off portable heaters when leaving the room or retiring for the night
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room
- Ashes from the fireplace should be put in a metal container, but only after they have cooled
- Test smoke alarms once per month
- Plug portable space heaters directly into the outlet – do not use power strips or extension cords
- Never turn your heat or air conditioning on for the season without changing the filters