Save Money On Your Summer Energy Bill
Now that the temperatures are climbing, you’ll want to stay cool without emptying your wallet. Here’s our list of 6 key steps you can take to save money on your summer energy bill.
- Replace old air conditioning units with new efficient models.If you have an older unit that has not been properly maintained, invest in a new model. The replacement costs may seem daunting, but in the long run, they are well worth it. Look for Energy Star ratings – they use up to 50% less energy!
- Invest in a programmable thermostat.Programmable thermostats allow you to control your HVAC unit even when you’re not there. Match your thermostat to your schedule, use a timer for when you leave for work and when you come home, set it for particular rooms, and even set specific temperatures.
- Don’t forget about your air filters.Air filters should be replaced monthly to promote a more efficient system performance. Clogged or dirty air filters can cause a disrupt in the airflow and even lead to health concerns.
- Protect your HVAC unit from sun and debris.An awning or tree can provide shade to your unit and cut energy consumption while helping your unit operate more smoothly. However, note that shrubbery or branches that can get into the system and can hinder the systems performance and may lead to permanent damage.
- Make sure that your vents are clean and open.It may be obvious but it is truly remarkable what you may not notice about your own home. Vents can be accidentally shut for cleaning purposes and never reopened. If you notice an unusually warm room or area in your home, don’t forget to check the vent. A clean vent also keeps debris from flowing through your home.
- Think gravity!Heat rises. During those hot summer months, the heat in your home will rise to the ceiling or the second floor of your home. To help that hot air on its way out of your home, fans can be a great tool. Ceiling fans help move the air around the room, creating a cooler environment for your family.
Incorporating these 6 easy steps will help you save money on your summer energy bill!