7 Ways To Beat The Heat
No, it’s not your imagination – it is definitely getting hotter. The 8 warmest years on record occurred in the last 10 years. Staying cool this summer doesn’t necessarily mean you have to pay a fortune to keep the air conditioning running day and night. We have 7 ways to beat the heat this summer – most costing less than $25!
- Tip #1 – Set the dialer higher – if you have central air, set your thermostat above 78 degrees. For a typical household, setting the thermostat at 80 degrees saves 10 to 15 percent.
- Tip #2 – Use a fan – a fan, which costs about 2 to 5 cents per hour to operate, will make a room feel 4 to 6 degrees cooler. Also, a fan works in tandem with an air conditioner because the dehumidifying action of the air conditioner provides drier air that the fan can move around.
- Tip #3 – Use sun blockers – as much as 20 percent of the summer heat enters your home as sunlight shining through windows. To cut “solar gain” add curtains or blinds to rooms that get direct sun and keep them closed in daylight hours.
- Tip #4 – Install a programmable thermostat – a programmable thermostat lets you set preset temperatures for different times of the day.
- Tip #5 – Cook smart – any appliance that generates heat adds to your cooling load. An oven baking cookies can easily raise the temperature 10 degrees. Use your stove, dishwasher and washer/dryer at night after the sun goes down.
- Tip #6 – Get cooler lights – incandescent bulbs add heat and raise the perceived temperature. Replace them with compact fluorescents that use 75 percent less energy and emit 90 percent less heat.
- Tip #7 – Defeat attic heat – attic temperatures can reach 150 degrees on a hot summer day. Add R-22 insulation of at least 6 to 7 inches.
So if you want to beat the heat this summer, follow these 7 steps, fill up your glass with some cool lemonade and relax and enjoy the summer!