Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer
Unfortunately, having a well insulated and tightly sealed home can be dangerous. Carbon monoxide can accumulate to hazardous levels in a very short time. Therefore, it is critical to have working carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
According to the Journal of the American Medical Association approximately 1,500 people die every year due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. And an additional 10,000 people seek medical attention. Because the CO poisoning can resemble other common ailments, it is very important to seek medical attention for any of the following:
- dull headache
- nausea or vomiting
- shortness of breath
- blurred vision
- loss of consciousness
Installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home can greatly reduce the chance of poisoning. We highly recommend having a CO detector on every level of your home, especially near bedrooms and directly above or beside fuel-burning appliances.
Another way to prevent poisoning is to have an annual heating system tune-up. Call LHT Cooling of Myrtle Beach to clean and check your heating system and test for presence of carbon monoxide.