End of Summer tips for your a/c
Your air conditioner has kept you cool and comfortable during the hottest days this Summer. As we say good-bye to Summer, let’s look at these end of Summer tips for your a/c.
- Examine your unit for anything unusual. Carve out some time observing your a/c. Give it a visual check-up by looking for frayed wires, leaks and damaged internal parts. Listen and be attentive to any strange sounds or smells. Call us immediately if you notice abnormalities with your unit.
- Get a new air filter. You should be changing your air filters on a monthly basis. If a couple of months have gone by and you can’t remember when it was last changed, change it now. It’s helpful if you write the date on the filter with a permanent marker when you put the new one in. Not only will you breathe easier with a clean filter, you will also protect your equipment and save money on your energy bill.
- Clean the condenser coils. The condensate drain is a breeding ground for mildew and moisture, which will cause your unit to work harder. Make sure to clean the drain to prevent clogs!
- Clear the outdoor unit from any obstructions. Clear the area around the outdoor unit from shrubs, weeds, or fallen branches. Eliminate any visible dirt and debris with a vacuum or brush. Keep the area clean to allow sufficient air circulation.
- Schedule a preventative maintenance tune-up. A tune-up from a licensed contractor, like LHT Cooling, Heating & Refrigeration, Inc., will keep your unit running efficiently throughout the year.
- Call the professionals! Your heating and air system is not typically a do-it-yourself project.
We hope these end of Summer tips for your a/c are helpful!