Enjoy The Holiday Lights & Save Money Too!
You CAN enjoy the holiday lights and save money too! They do not have to be mutually exclusive. Believe it or not, you can share a little holiday cheer with the neighborhood without breaking the bank.
Here’s how to maximize your energy efficiency and still enjoy the holiday lights and save money too:
- Invest in timers – there is absolutely no reason to keep holiday lights on around the clock. Not only will that annoy your neighbors, but it wastes electricity. Set the timer to turn them on when it gets dark outside and turn them off when you go to bed.
- Decorate with LEDs – LED lights use up to 90 percent less energy than traditional holiday lights. Look for lights with the ENERGY STAR label to be assured of energy efficiency and holiday lights that last 10 times longer.
- Fiber optics – let your home glow with fiber optic tress and decorations. Many fiber optic trees use only one bulb to light the entire tree, which will leave you glowing when you open that electric bill.
- Candles – candles are a tradition in many homes. They give a warm and inviting setting. You can use candles throughout your home to spark holiday spirit and holiday energy savings. BUT never leave a candle unattended!
- Utilize extension cords – if you have areas that aren’t visible, behind bushes or the back of a tree, don’t waste precious electricity lighting them. An extension cord will help you add length without excessive costs. But be sure not to overload the cords.
- Forego lights completely – use ribbons, wreaths and bells. Homes were decorated long before electricity. Why not incorporate a more traditional look for your home this year?
- Remember if you are having guests over for the holidays, turn down that thermostat a few degrees. Extra people equals extra heat!
- When baking or cooking those holiday meals and treats, try to bake dishes at the same time. Not only will it save money, but time too.
So, follow these simple steps and you will enjoy the holidays and save money too!