Essential qualities to look for in an HVAC contractor
Finding a good HVAC contractor can be summed up in 2 words – intimidating and annoying. We’re here to help with a list of the essential qualities to look for in an HVAC contractor.
- Has a good reputation – it pays to seek out contractors that have consistently good reviews. You can check out potential contractors through many sources: Yelp, Google, Angie’s List, Better Business Bureau, etc.
- Is properly certified – an HVAC company should hire NATE certified technicians. This tells you the company hires techs that are efficient, knowledgeable and professional.
- Surveys your home, then estimates costs (NOT vice versa) A contractor should always come out to your home and survey your existing system including your duct work – checking for leaks – before giving you any prices for repairs or replacement. Do not trust anyone willing to give you a price over the phone.
- Won’t discourage you from buying higher efficiency equipment – contractors who don’t stay up to date with the latest technology might discourage you from buying higher efficiency equipment because they don’t know how to install it. A quality contractor will always be able to install the latest energy efficient models and can explain to you how much those models can save you.
- Probably won’t have the lowest prices – please don’t start your search looking for the lowest priced system. You’re almost always guaranteed to find a fly-by-night freelancer who works from his home, is unlicensed and uninsured. He’ll most likely install your equipment improperly, which will contribute to higher energy bills.
- Does not make assumptions about equipment sizing – your current equipment might be improperly sized, which contributes to higher energy bills. With that in mind, a quality contractor won’t assume that he should replace your system with the same size without properly measuring your home.
- Sells quality products – ask potential contractors what type of equipment they sell. Make sure it is ENERGY STAR rated from reputable manufacturers.
- Works locally in an office or shop – a contractor that maintains a professional workplace tells you that the company has been in business for a while and will continue to be in business in the future – securing whatever warranties they provide.
So before hiring someone, check our list of essential qualities to look for in an HVAC contractor!