In the Fall and Winter we use our homes more and close them up to shut out the colder weather. While we’re protecting ourselves inside, we are trapping dust, dander and mold that can make us sick. Before you start to batten down the hatches for winter weather, make sure you do your fall cleaning!
- Bedding – wash all bedding in preparation for cooler temperatures and use very hot water to kill dust mites and bacteria. Over the winter season, be sure to wash bedding weekly.
- Carpets – shampoo all of your carpets and change your vacuum cleaner bag. As you vacuum, go over each area 2 or 3 times to get up as much dust as possible.
- Drapes and blinds – launder or dry clean drapes and vacuum window blinds. It it has been a year or more since you tackled non-wood blinds, remove them and wash them outdoors with a mild soap. Use the hose to rinse of the soap and let them dry completely. Clean wood blinds with a mild wood cleaning solution.
- Pets – we love them, but they can be a handful, particularly if someone in the family has allergies. Whenever possible, bathe cats and dogs regularly to keep dander at a minimum. A dry bath is better than nothing. Some pets, if trained at a young age, can tolerate being vacuumed with the soft attachment.
- Moist surfaces – clean surfaces that tend to stay wet, like tubs, showers, sinks and floor drains, with a mold-busting cleanser or a homemade preparation consisting of bleach and dishwashing detergent.
- Heater/Air conditioner – yes we saved our favorite for last. Change or clean your filters, and repeat monthly. Also, the Fall is the perfect time to have your heating system serviced by a professional, like the ones here at LHT Cooling, Heating & Refrigeration, Inc.
So, it’s time to get starting with your Fall cleaning with the above tips!