When Your Furnace Won’t Start…
When your furnace won’t start, you might feel a sense of panic and wonder if there is anything you can do before calling for professional assistance. At LHT Cooling, Heating and Refrigeration, we can help homeowners troubleshoot and identify the reasons why your furnace won’t start. Before making that service call, here are several things you can check on your own.
- Check the thermostat – make sure it is set to the heating function and that the temperature is set higher the the ambient temperature of your home. If necessary, turn the fan to “on”.
- Check the power – even gas systems use electricity. Check to make sure the circuit breaker for the heating equipment has not been tripped. Inspect the power cord for signs of damage. Make sure the power switch is “on”. Look at the control board of the heating system and see if there are any burn marks that could indicate an electrical short.
- Check the blower – the blower compartment has an inspection window with a light that should be flashing green. If it is red or not flashing, there could be a problem with the blower motor, transformer, control board or run capacitor.
- Check the condensate pan – if the reservoir in the condensate pan is full, your furnace won’t start. Drain the reservoir and check the condensate pipe for blockages. The pump may have lost power or it may need to be replaced.
- Check the pilot light – if the furnace is fueled by gas and the pilot light has gone out, relight it. Once the flame is lit, check to make sure it reaches the bottom of the thermocouple switch. If the pilot light goes out right after you light it, the assembly or sensor could be dirty.
- Check the gas – again for gas fueled furnaces – a disruption of the gas supply to your home could leave your heating system without fuel. If you smell gas, LEAVE YOUR HOME IMMEDIATELY! And contact a professional for urgent repair service.
After taking all these steps and still your furnace won’t start, call LHT. Our experienced technicians have the tools necessary to diagnose and repair the problem!