Keep your HVAC unit in top shape ~
Learn how to keep your HVAC unit in top shape. Your HVAC system is one of the most expensive items in your home.
- Clean around the outdoor unit. Your outdoor unit will work most efficiently when it is clean and clear of debris. For a professional tune-up, call us here at LHT Cooling, Heating & Refrigeration, Inc.
- Vacuum indoor vents and keep them unblocked. You can vacuum dust and any debris away from indoor supply vents to help maintain a steady airflow from your system. Keep items like furniture and toys from blocking vents.
- Increase your thermostat a few degrees. Typically, adjusting the thermostat as little as 5-8 degrees (down in the winter, up in the summer) can help save energy, and therefore, money! A programmable thermostat can be set to raise or lower when you are not at home for several hours at a time.
- Keep lamps and other heat-producing appliances away from your thermostat. Having heat producing appliances near your thermostat will tell it that the air in your home needs to be cooled. This will cause the unit to run longer and work harder than it needs to.
- Keep curtains and blinds closed in the heat of the day. Better yet, install window tinting film. Direct sunlight hitting your windows will heat up your home.
- Clear the drain line. There is a drain by the indoor cooling coil. If you flush one cup of chlorine bleach through the drain followed by a gallon of water, you can keep your drain clear all summer long. Keeping the drain line clear will prevent the pan from overflowing and flooding your home.
- Avoid using your dryer and your oven in the hottest hours of the day. The extra heat will warm your home and make your system work harder to maintain a comfortable temperature.
- Insulate any exposed ductwork. Make sure all your ductwork is properly sealed so it doesn’t leak any of your conditioned air.