Mildew smell from your air conditioner
If you turn on your air conditioning system only to smell the musty smell associated with mold and mildew growth, it can be unsettling. What is that mildew smell from your air conditioner? Air conditioning should be refreshing and comfortable. The only thing more miserable than dealing with hot and stickly conditions is dealing with a foul smell coming from your air conditioning vents.
If your a/c smells like mildew, mold or other foul odors, it is time to call a profressional – like the technicians here at LHT Cooling, Heating & Refrigeration! Mold and mildew odors are some of the most common odors found in air conditioning duct work. They can occur for a variety of reasons. However, a properly functioning air conditioning system should overcome the presence of moisture – which is the building block for mold and mildew growth.
Common causes for mildew smell from your air conditioner:
- Dirty or clogged filters – if your filter is dirty, clogged, or gets too much exposure to moisture, mildew can begin to grow. Filters trap tiny organic particles that can accelerate mildew growth when exposed to moisture. You should be changing your filters every month!
- Clogged drain pan – if your drain pan is clogged, is filling too fast, or has been moved and is no longer positioned where it should be, this can cause mildew growth in and around your a/c system.
- Clogged condensate drain line – the condensate drain line runs from the coils to the outside of the a/c unit and removes condensation created by the coils.
- Moist duct work – this can occur if your ducts are not well sealed. Excess moisture in your ducts can lead to mold and mildew growth, then spread the odor throughout your home.
- Internal problems – sometimes the interior working parts of your a/c unit may be dirty. You should be having semi-annual cleanings by a licensed HVAC technician.
Call us today and have one of our experienced technicians look at your system!