Save money on your summer energy bill . . .
With our hot temperatures here in the Myrtle Beach area, you'll want to not only stay cool, but save money on your summer energy bill. We, here at LHT Cooling, Heating & Refrigeration, Inc., have put together a list of key steps you can take to save money on your summer energy bill.
- Replace old air conditioning units with newer, efficient models. If you have an older unit that has not been properly maintained, invest in a new model. The replacement costs may seem daunting, but in the long run, they are well worth it. Manufacturers labeled with Energy Star ratings can use up to 50 percent less energy.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat. Programmable thermostats allow you to control your HVAC units even when you're not there. Match your thermostat to your schedule, use a timer for when you leave for work and when you come home, set it for particular rooms, and even set specific temperatures.
- Don't forget about your air filters. Air filters should be replaced monthly to promote more efficient system performance. Clogged or dirty air filters can cause a disruption in the airflow and even lead to health concerns.
- Protect your HVAC unit from sun and debris. An awning or strategically place tree can provide shade to your unit and cut energy consumption while helping your unit operate more smoothly. However, not that shrubbery or branches can also interfere with your systems performance. Keep them trimmed!
- Make sure your vents are clean and open. It may be obvious, but it is truly remarkable what you may not notice about your own home. Vents can be accidently shut for cleaning purposes and never re-opened. If you notice an usually warm room or area in your home, don't forget to check the vent. Obviously, a clean vent also keeps debris from flowing through your home. Dirt and dust can be overlooked.
- Think gravity. Heat rises! During those hot summer months, the heat in your home will rise to the second floor of your home. To help that hot air on its way out, fans can be a great tool. Either ceiling fans or standing fans help move the air around the room, creating a cooler environment for your family.
So follow these easy steps to save money on your summer energy bill!