Time To Prepare For Fall With Your HVAC
Your air conditioning system has been hard at work all summer to keep you and your family cool, but now is the time to prepare for Fall with your HVAC. It is time to re-evaluate things. The following are some of the ways you can prepare your system for the coming seasons.
- Trim plants – Summer has given them plenty of time to grow, but don’t let them become overgrown. Pull out vines and weeds that are encroaching, trim nearby bushes and use an edger or weed-whacker to clean up anything else.
- Replace or clean your filters – If you haven’t replaced or cleaned your filters throughout the summer, then you should definitely take care of that now. As a result of how hard your air conditioner has to work all summer, a lot of particles passed through those filters and can fill them up fast impeding airflow and causing damage.
- Seal your outdoor unit – Prepare for fall, and ultimately winter, by applying a fresh coat of sealant to the metal to protect from winter elements. You also may want to take a pre-emptive step by checking for rust before applying the sealant. If you find any rust, be sure to remove it by cleaning off as much as you can and then using a metal paint to stop the rust from spreading.
- Protect your outdoor unit – Sealants are a great way to protect your outdoor unit, but there are other things to do as well. Building a shade structure, not only will increase efficiency in the summer by keeping the sun off the unit, but will also help guard against falling leaves and harsh winter weather. Just be sure that any shade structures you create allow for good airflow around the unit.
- Get maintenance – By far the best way to prepare for fall is to call a licensed HVAC technician at LHT Cooling, Heating and Refrigeration, Inc. for a thorough cleaning and tune-up.
By following these 5 tips to prepare for fall, you will increase the efficiency and longevity of your HVAC system!