It’s Time To Think About Fall HVAC Maintenance
It’s time to think about Fall HVAC maintenance – if your goal is to keep your heating and air conditioning system operating at peak performance. To maintain your system at its optimum efficiency, you should have it serviced semi-annually by a professional. You can easily remember when to have this done by scheduling around daylights savings time clock changes.
As you think about Fall HVAC maintenance, a seasonal system check-up should include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Check the thermostat. This ensures that it functions properly. If you don’t already have a programmable thermostat, now is the time to get one to maximize the system’s efficiency and your comfort.
- Inspect the electrical connections and testing the voltage. Faulty electrical connections and incorrect voltage affect the equipment’s efficiency and safe operation, and increase the risk of component failure.
- Lubricate all moving parts. A lack of lubrication on moving parts such as fans and motors leaves them vulnerable to damaging friction. Not only does friction downgrade the system’s energy efficiency, it can cause key components to wear out quickly and increases the risk of fire.
- Clean the condensate drain. If dirt builds up and blocks the condensate drain, indoor humidity levels will rise, water damage can occur and bacteria, mold and mildew will flourish.
- Test the start-up, shut-down and safety controls. Checking these essential functions ensures that the HVAC system operates correctly and safely.
- Inspect exhaust vents. Checking the system’s chimney or vent stack for leaks, corrosion and back drafting is vital to prevent a build-up of exhaust fumes such as deadly carbon monoxide.
- Check heat exchangers, burners and fuel lines/connections. Dirty burners, fuel leaks and damaged heat exchangers impact energy efficiency and pose a serious safety risk.
- Clean or replace air filters. Although this should be done monthly – not just twice a year – clean or replace filters to keep HVAC system operating efficiently and prolong the equipment’s service life.
Our goal at LHT Cooling, Heating and Refrigeration, Inc. of Myrtle Beach is to educate our customers and to keep their systems running properly for a long time to come. So when you think about Fall HVAC maintenance, remember to call LHT!