Your HVAC and Thanksgiving
With the first of the holidays days away, it’s time to think of your HVAC and Thanksgiving. Make those final preparations to get your home ready for your guests for those hosting Thanksgiving dinner! It’s safe to say that 24 hours before the holiday, it’s time to clean your home from top to bottom. However, did you know that cleaning can also benefit your HVAC during the holidays as well? Here’s a list of HVAC tips to help you along this holiday season to make sure your HVAC is running as efficiently as possible.
- Tip #1: Dust, Dust and Dust!
- One of the best ways to help your home’s HVAC system before the holidays is to simply dust. The more you dust, the less dust particles will travel through your duct system and your home. The best way to dust is to simply grab a towel that you are no longer using, lightly wet it, and run it over any exposed surfaces. The dust will be trapped in the towel and you can throw it in the washer when you’re finished. Also, pay special attention to the vents and most importantly the air returns.
- Tip #2: Change your air filter!
- It seems simple enough, but this is often one of the most overlooked maintenance items there is. Changing your air filter is fairly simple! The easiest way to avoid any issues is to use the correct size filter and place the arrows in the direction of the airflow. You should be changing these every month. Even though they don’t look that dirty sometimes, there are micro particles clogging them.
- Tip #3: Turn DOWN your thermostat!
- If you are cooking for the holidays, you are guaranteed to have your oven on for long periods of time. Because your oven will be running so much, it will actually be providing heat to your home. This means the furnace or heat pump does not have to run as much. Feel free to turn down that heat several degrees!
Everyone here at LHT Cooling, Heating & Refrigeration, Inc., would like to wish you a safe, happy and healthy Thanksgiving!